Lead

Dec 3 10 1:07 AM

Tags : :

Found some goodies,at least for me. I went out a few weeks ago to look for my MIL pliers she lost in her back yard. I didn't find them but I did run across some odd stuff. I found one old bottle she is using now as a vase. I found one area that was really odd. It went off and I dug up a flat piece of metal. Then I ran it over it again and it went off again. It did this a few times in a mall 2x2 ft area. I found all kinds of stuff there. I found what looked to be a part of a kids roller skate,probably 40s or before,various stuff. I dug up until it didn't go off anymore. My detectors not that sensitive,a cheapo radio shack model but it dooes good for the money. I was wondering about that hole. I asked my wife and MIL if they ever dumped,burried or burned stuff there. They never had. The stuff was about 6 inches under the ground. I was wondering if this could have been a marker of something burried deeper. Does anyone know if people marked stuff like this and burred their treasures deeper? I probably couldn't detect stuff deeper than a foot.

I did find a old single sided ax head. It was burried about 6 inches down. No wood handle on it. I thought it was odd that someone would leave it like that. I am going to clean it up using electroylitic method. I have used this for years and it really works. It gets all the rust off by making it release from the metal. Anyway It was nice to find the stuff. I am going to go out there again before they knock everything down for the road project.
Quote    Reply   

stacyb

#1 [url]

Dec 3 10 9:44 AM

Sounds like you found some interesting stuff. Josh use to have one when he was younger but he never really got into it. It did come in handy finding rings or money you dropped but that is all we have founf in our backyard. Your yard sounds more interesting.

Quote    Reply   

willy3486

Advanced Member

#3 [url]

Dec 5 10 1:38 PM

Yep I was talking about a metal detector. I got it at radio shack years ago for detecting nails in wood. I was using some used wood then and didn't want to damage my woodworking tools. I want to go around my moother in laws house before the house gets torn down. The state is widening the road and the house has to be taken for it. It is probably at least 100 years old. I wanted to go around the place to look for anything that might have been hidden. Other than the house and where it sits the property has changed a lot,trees added,cut, fences taken down,etc. So there is no way of figuring out where the original trees and fences were at. This would be a perfect place for someone to have hid a mason jar full of coins 75 years ago.

As far as the ax goes I tried to clean it. It was in the ground so long that some of the metal bubbled us so to speak. I will still try to clean it but it may not be of much use to use. I will just have to see how clean it gets. I have a box I use to clean it and usually 30 minutes is all it takes. I let it set for 6-8 hours and very little came off. So I will have to try again. I can get a totally rusted up adjustable wrench loose in under an hour so I know the ax is caked up bad.

Quote    Reply   

willy3486

Advanced Member

#5 [url]

Dec 5 10 3:36 PM

QUOTE (crawford @ December 05, 2010 02:37 pm)
sounds cool I never throught of useing it to find nails in wood, I may get that cheep one after all. etncc/morning.gif

I got the one radio shack had about 15 years ago. I had some used barn wood saved up and wanted to make sure I didn't have any nails in it. I have a powermatic planer and those cutters for it are pricey. I don't even remember what I made but the metal detector paid for itself easily. Even though it is a really cheap one it has really worked good at finding nails in wood. I have used it a lot. I have been able on more than one occasion found some piece of nail embedded in wood you couldn't see. After I get done with the moving and cleaning due to the road I hope to get into woodworking more. I hope we will be done by June or July. I have been getting a few more tools as I find them. I have been switching from new tool buying to older pre 60s tool buying. My shop is beginning to look straight from the 50s.

Quote    Reply   

Dirtfisher

Elite Member

#6 [url]

Dec 18 10 1:10 AM

Willy3486, I have done a little metal detecting in the past. Sounds like a real interesting place to detect. How long has your MIL lived there? You said the house was over a 100 years old. That makes for a lot of possibilities. People years ago used to stash their money in jars with zinc lids and would bury them under or near a fence post. They would mark those post by putting a metal can or can lid on top of the post where the money was hid and they would have it where they could see it from their bedroom window. Another good place was around the foundation of the house somewhere. If there is an old flower bed that has been there for years or an old tree, I would check them out. If you know of any out building that have been torn down that would make a good location also. If it has a porch with a crawl space that would be a good place also and along walkways. There's nothing like that feeling you get when you dig a hole and see that old silver shining back out of the hole. Lots of luck and Happy Hunting......

David & Nancy

user posted image
"It's not what you are that holds you back, its what you think you're not."

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help